Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Carley

We had days upon days celebrating Carley's 15th birthday. We began celebrating with grandparents, Tom and Connie Cash, while they were visiting us during Colton's performance in the Christmas Carol. We had a nice dinner then opened birthday gifts along with Christmas gifts. Christmas gifts will have to go into the Christmas blog entry.

Here is Carley with her gifts from her die hard Tar Heel grandparents. It is a long story how Carley ever became a Tar Heel fan. Let's just put it this way, her dad had a lot to do with it one weekend while I was on a ladies retreat. Carley was three years old and has stayed true to being a Tar Heel no matter how hard I try to convince her other wise. I have given up on changing her mind.


(Gideon wanted in on the action too. I guess he was offering a ball to the birthday girl.)


We choose to celebrate Carley's birthday with my family the day before her birthday. She opted to have her favorite meal at home instead of going out to dinner with everyone the day before her birthday. We ate grilled tenderloin steak, twice baked potatoes, peas, salad and dessert. To make her dinner a little more special, I used the china and crystal.



I know I am not the best decorator, but I think I got the message across.

Sorry for the blurriness. There are fifteen candles on this cookie.


We have a tradition of reading cards out loud before opening gifts. I think that is something my mom made my sister and I do and it has carried on to my family.


My mom gave Carley an accessory for her Ipod. She can place her Ipod in this sleeve like thing and attach the thing to her upper arm. She uses this when we go to they gym. I have no idea what the proper word is for this Ipod accessory.

My sister, Nadine, travels all over the place. Nadine brought back a key chain from San Francisco. Nadine also gave Carley a really cool t-shirt from New York City. We are so blessed to have someone in our family that get to go to these new and exciting places. We all benefit from her journeys.


Let me recap December the 16th 15 years ago. David and I had to be at the hospital at some ungodly hour of 5:30 am. Carley was a planned c-section because the last OB appointment the doctor said she would be born on Christmas day. Her brother, Colton, was almost three years old and I wasn't about to miss Christmas morning with him. There is just something about seeing children at that age being awe struck by the new toys under the tree.

We arrive at the hospital, my pastor at the time, who I didn't tell I was going to the hospital, showed up at 6am to pray with us. To this day, I have no clue how he knew I we were there. Around 8am, (I would have to go to the attic and look in the baby book to confirm the exact time), the doctor pulled her out and asked me if I would like to see my beautiful baby girl. The answer would have been yes, but the nurse said wait due to the fact Carley was beginning to poop and the poop would have been on my face. I had to wait just a minute or two before I really got to see one of the sweetest faces ever seen before in human history. On a side note, the nursing staff was not concerned whether her lungs were working or not. Carley screamed, not cry, but screamed the first several hours of her life. I wondered upon hearing that news if this was a sign from the Lord of things to come. For the past 15 years Carley is not only a joy to us, but to so many other around her. She has so much compassion for people at times I wounder where she gets it from. It is one of her many gifts from God. I don't see too many 15 year olds who love Jesus the way she does. My prayer for her is that she continues to pour over His word and love Him more today than yesterday.

Carley's birthday day. We took the day off from school because it was her birthday and we can do that because we homeschool. Carley chose to turn off her cell phone for the day and remove herself from all society. She went into the guest bedroom to study all day for her learner's driver permit. Around 3:30 she came out of the guest bedroom and announced she was ready to take the test. I wasn't too sure if this was going to happen today because the DMV is a government office and most government offices close around 4:30. Our DMV is about a twenty minute drive and then there is the chance of them locking the doors at 4:00 so they can leave at 4:30. I called to see what time they did close to make sure I wasn't wasting a trip to the DMV. Amazing things do happen in our world, they close at 5 pm. Carley and I arrived at the DMV, the receptionist refused to allow me to sit with Carley in the waiting area and I had to sit some where else. I assure you Carley was in viewing distance from me. Her and I were still able to communicate through hand motions. She later told me I should have taken the time to learn sign language like she did. It worked out later that I was able to join her in the waiting area she was waiting in. I don't know who was more nervous, her or I, while she was taking her test. She did pass the test and we walked out of the DMV around 4:50.

Carley will tell you the greatest birthday gift she could have received for herself is the driver's permit to learn to drive. Yes, she drives me almost everyday to the gym. That evening to celebrate her passing the test and her birtday, we had the Chunn's join us at a local Mexican resturant. Here are the last few picutes of the final celebration of Carley's many of days celebrating 15.

Reading more birthday cards.

Carley is all girl but like her mom, found that guys had cooler toys than girls. She does play airsoft with her brother and the youth at church.

The Chunns gave Carley a Corgi calendar. Carley loves her two Corgis and nothing would make her happier having a few more here to take care of. She will have to settle with the ones in the pictures.


She was ready to kill when all the attention was on her. Carley is not one wanting to be in the lime light.

I know the post was long, but this is another day in the Cash home. I hope to blog a little more after Christmas. We will have to tell you about the treasue hunt of Christmas Day. Until then, have a blessed and wonderful day.





No comments: