Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas Eve

Today is the day that kicks off the celebration of Jesus' birth. This evening we will go to Nadine's house for Christmas Eve festivities. We usually begin the evening with the last day/night of advent. David is always in charge for Christmas Eve advent. He gave me a preview of this evenings message. I am not sure what child was in ear shot of our conversation, but their words were I guess we don't need to attend Christmas Eve services, Dad has taken care of it for us. I am looking forward to what David has prepared for us. I do know there will be lots of singing and a Third Day song is included in the line up. After we participate in Advent, we then move on to the food. No party is complete without lots of high fat and high calorie foods. This evenings menu is as follows: cheese dip, little smokies, tortilla wraps, boneless buffalo wings from Chili's, Christmas cookie, taco dip, and I am trying out a new recipe for southwestern egg rolls. The deal is we don't make enough to feed an army, but we do have a variety of food. We will fix our plates and move into Nadine's living room and begin opening gifts that she is giving to all her family. My mom will decide if she is going to give out her gifts this evening, or she will wait and give out all her gifts Christmas afternoon at my house. Tomorrow on Christmas Day, everyone gathers at my house, and we will give out our gifts to the family. We began this back a few years ago so my children will be more focus on giving than receiving. That only works when we are at home, not out at Nadine's receiving.

Until I post Christmas Eve pictures, here are some pictures of our home this Christmas season.

This is what I wished my house really looked like, below you will see the truth.

We had some medium winds come through the area and blew my tress over. I thought I would leave one down for the picture.

Bad picture, but maybe this is what it really looks like to most people.


This is our tree in the corner that I blogged about earlier. I like the picture without the flash better than with the flash.

Carley decided to pose these three charters as if they were playing Monopoly. David and I made the this little piece of art many years ago.




I keep soft plush Christmas things around for when my young pre-school friends come over to visit; they have some things they are able to touch and play with. These Hallmark snow people are always a hit with little ones. They like to get them all playing at one time.


I love Nativity scenes. I have three on the mantle here. Below you will find a closer look.


The Nativity scene on the left came all the way from Hungry.

Hallmark sold this one several years ago and I loved the details on each piece.

This one in the most special of all the Nativity scenes. Nadine, my sister, made this nativity scene for me one Christmas while she was in college. One of the wise men has lost part of his gift thanks to a puppy who wanted it for himself. I had a cat who would hide baby Jesus at night. We had to lock her up in the bedroom with us because many times I could not find Jesus in the morning. He ended up under the refrigerator more times than not.

This nativity is the first one I bought back in 1986. It was my first Christmas from home living in Japan along with being a newlywed. I remember how excited I was when I finally received it.
This is where all the wrapping takes place. It really looks pretty good compared to what it has looked like in the past few days.

The Christmas Cactus is in the same pot as the one my Grandmother had this plant in. I am too afraid to transplant it. Everything I transplant dies.
Every family should have their own personal "Charlie Brown" tree. We were going to put lights on this tree, but decided the branches were not strong enough to hold them.

The Cash family wishes all of you and your love ones a very Blessed Christmas and an abundant New Year.







No comments: